Sunday, August 10, 2014

A Visit With a Quieter Time

Photo by Evan Brandt
A few lucky riders had the opportunity to close out this year's Goschenhoppen Folk Festival with a wagon ride.


So I won't lie, I'm a history geek.

And few things get me more jazzed each year than the Goschenhoppen Folk Festival, which features samples of life in both the 18th and 19th centuries.

For the last four years, my son has been volunteering as an apprentice, along with his best friend, although each prefers a different century.

Benjamin Franklin said "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us
to be happy." A statement with which I agree wholeheartedly. 
However, I would add an addendum: 
"Also, vanilla ice cream and fresh peaches."
This means I am often there early Saturday morning during the drop-off, and have an opportunity to walk through and watch the different stations get set up.

I take pictures and Tweet them out, hoping to generate interest for the event, but also because I like
doing it.

My wife and I often visit, but not every year. It is, after all, the same set of exhibits each year.

I do, however, make sure to do one thing every year.

I get a bowl of Longacre vanilla ice cream with fresh peaches on top. I look forward to it every year and it remains proof positive to me that we can create heaven here on earth.

Anyway, this is the stuff I shot during drop-off and pick-up each year.

And here is the Tout video embedded, so you don't have to click the link in the Storify below.



No comments:

Post a Comment