An open house to celebrate the opening of a user-friendlier Ellis Woods Park will be held Saturday, Sept. 26 from 12 to 5 p.m.
With a $67,000 in grants from the following, the township was able to hire a professional landscape architect team to create a sign system that will enable park users to have a more informative “Walk Through the Park:”
- · $20,000 grant from Pottstown Area Health and Wellness
- · $20,000 from the Schuylkill Highlands mini-grant program
- · $27,000 matching funds from the Township Open Space Fund
The 53-acres behind the township building acquired using the township open space funds will have a half-mile birding loop, a one-mile farm loop, a half-mile meadow loop and a half-mile trail along Pigeon Creek, all color coded with different icons.
Visitors will first notice a new historically significant sign that will feature stone pillars that were used in Chester County to hold up barn lofts, that will be all hand pointed. The best photo taken that day at our new sign will be in the next township newsletter with a complimentary gift basket.
Activities that day will include:
- Hunters of the Sky program from 1 to 2 p.m. under the pavilion will feature live hawks and owls by Dawn White of Indian Run Environmental Education Center;
- Pickle ball demonstrations and a dedication of the courts to Anne Sage;
- Ice cream and beverages from Kolb’s Dairy and Farm Store;
- Guided bird tours