Tuesday, May 8, 2012

It's Teacher Appreciation Day!

One of the handy things about those "Day Minder" calendars The Mercury buys me each year (yes, I still put pen to paper ... which may be why I'm so bad at keeping appointments) is it tells you about all the many national and international day designations that we would otherwise zoom past in our busy lives.


There's Mexican Constitution Anniversary Day (Feb. 5); Administrative Professionals Day (April 25. Yup, you missed it again) and National Boss Day (Oct. 16, yes there's still time).

And then there is Teacher Appreciation Day, which is today.

Teacher's don't get much love these days, often portrayed as greedy public sector employees, glorified babysitters, people who only work 10 months a year. You've heard them all.

But without them, we would not have learned how to read, how to view the world in a framework of logic and observation and, most importantly, how to think.

All of which is why Pottsgrove Middle School Principal Bill Ziegler made sure not to let the day pass without marking its significance. (He must have a Day Minder too!)

In addition to soliciting thoughts on the subject from his students, Ziegler also took the time to issue a thank you of his own, which appears below:

Teacher Appreciation Week is an opportune time to reflect on the teachers who made a difference in my life. As the principal of Pottsgrove Middle School and an alumnus of the Pottsgrove School District, I am proud to take a moment to thank the teachers who have helped me achieve my dreams and goals. My school years started at West Pottsgrove Elementary School, this school embraced me as a child and made me believe that I could achieve anything. It was the caring teachers of West that nurtured a learning environment that I will never forget. Thank you West teachers for teaching me.

Bill Ziegler
My middle school years were blessed with more tremendous teachers that challenged me to stretch and reach beyond my own expectations. I had so many awesome teachers that helped make me who I am today. Thank You Pottsgrove Intermediate School teachers for teaching me.

Pottsgrove High School teachers challenged me to grow and develop as an adult. I wish I could thank every teacher by name. Thank You Pottsgrove High School teachers for teaching me.

Now as a principal in the district, I see how our outstanding, exemplary teaching staff invests in the lives of children. I am grateful to the Pottsgrove School District, Pottsgrove teachers, and the Pottsgrove Community for investing in my life and the lives of so many others. Pottsgrove educators are making a difference that is building a better tomorrow and changing the world, one student at a time.

Dr. Bill Ziegler 

Ziegler is also collecting notes of appreciation from his students and parents and will present them throughout the week to the teachers at his school.


Our thanks to Dr. Ziegler for sharing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment