Monday, October 15, 2012

Learn More About Pottstown's Founder


Blogger's Note: This just in from Lynn Symborski the educator over at Pottsgrove Manor.

On Saturday, Oct. 20 at 1 p.m., Pottsgrove Manor will host a talk by Potts’ family historian Daniel A. Graham.
Daniel A. Graham

In the lecture “That Healthy and Handsome Country Seat: A Look at Potts Family Real Estate,” Graham will speak about some of the other properties that were built and owned by members of the Potts family in addition to Pottsgrove Manor, including the house that would become Washington’s Headquarters at Valley Forge.

A donation of $2 per person is suggested for this program.

After the presentation, a guided tour of the manor house and Pottsgrove Manor’s current exhibit, “Matters Personal, Details Private: Cleanliness, Hygiene, and Personal Pursuits in the Colonial Home,” will be offered.

Pottsgrove Manor, home of John Potts, colonial ironmaster and founder of Pottstown, is located at 100 West King Street near the intersection of King Street and Route 100, just off Route 422, in Pottstown, Pennsylvania. Pottsgrove Manor is operated by Montgomery County under the direction of the Parks and Heritage Services Division of the Assets & Infrastructure Department.

Regular museum hours: Tuesday to Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday, 1 to 4 p.m.

Tours are given on the hour; last tour of the day begins as 3 p.m.

Groups of 10 or more should pre-register by calling 610.326.4014. For more information and a full calendar of events, visit us on the web at http://historicsites.montcopa.org/pottsgrovemanor

or http://www.facebook.com/PottsgroveManor.

A Potts family historian, Daniel Graham has lectured at Pottsgrove Manor before.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    My name is Michael, I'm 28 and I plan on attending this coming Saturday! I'm quite excited as I enjoy culture and history, especially local history very, very much. I've printed the flyer and have it hanging next to my bed so I remember and don't make any other plans, as I'm 28 and have friends bugging me to come party. But to be honest, I have been bored with partying since I was 20! lol! I just didn't have anything else to do. Since deciding the partying was beat I have been coming to things like this all around the area, down in Philly, I went to a book discussion group in Phoenixville when they took up one of my favortie, "brave new world" and I really look forward to this event because it's my 1st one like this & its in and about my hometown! I'll see ya there!
    Namaste,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete