Today's band cavalcade at Owen J. :Roberts High School will mark the 50th anniversary of the school's first-ever cavalcade in 1971.
Band director Todd Mengel has arranged for an Alumni Band event in which at least 156 former band and band-front members will attend.
"Those of us who are participating are very excited," according to Heather McCreary, who marched as a flute and tenor saxophone played in 1983.
"There is a woman, a baton twirler, from the very first cavalcade coming, 1971 and many others," McCreary wrote in an email.
Here is the schedule for today's events:
- 2 to 3:30 p.m – Practice in OJR Stadium with our current HS Band. Part of the time will be spent positioning on the field, and part of the time rehearsing the music together to prepare for the performance at the end.
- 4:30 p.m. – Cavalcade Begins
- 8:30 p.m. – OJR High School Band Performance
- 8:45 p.m. – OJR Combined Alumni & HS Band Performance (SSB, Alma Mater, America the Beautiful)
- 9:15 p.m. – GRAND FINALE Performance (all bands on field together playing Blinding Lights)
- 9:45 p.m. – Refreshments provided in HS Cafeteria. All OJR Band Alumni & current HS Band Members invited to socialize. There will be complimentary pizzas, drinks, and other refreshments available.