Sunday, December 29, 2019

Holiday House Tour No. 5, Artist in Residence

Photos by Evan Brandt
The front of 4 East Third Street.
The front door is truly remarkable.
As a resident of the numbered streets in Pottstown, I had long admired this home before I ever found
out who owned it.

When I found out if was owned by former borough councilman Mike Wentzel and his wife Jodie, a retired art teacher in the Pottstown School District, it made even more sense.

Wentzel was in the building trades and it takes an art teacher's eye to design the home's paint scheme.

Sadly, this home was on the tour only for outside viewing. I can only imagine how nice it must be inside.

According to local historian Michael Snyder, who served as the tour guide on the Trolley Tour my wife and I took this year, the home was built some time between 1890 and 1900 by a fellow named Oliver Dunlap.

Snyder said he was a foreman at Marsh and Brownback Stoveworks and said "he must have done very well for himself."

Dunlap was also a farmer and business owner, according to Snyder.

Tomorrow, we'll have another short one, a home on Walnut Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment