Sunday, June 17, 2018

King, Perez Named Barth Elementary's Peacemakers

From left, First Presbyterian Co-Pastor Kerry Pidcock-Lester, Kendyll King, Isiah Perez and former Barth teacher Sharon Holloway



Blogger's Note: The following was provided by the Pottstown School District

At Barth Elementary School they practice the intent of the John Lennon song "All We Are Saying Is Give Peace A Chance." 

The annual "Peacemaker of the Year" program which was developed through the joint efforts of Barth Elementary School and the First Presbyterian Church of Pottstown, recognizes two students for the qualities of kindness, respect, courage, and the willingness to solve problems in a peaceful way.

The school‑wide program includes written student nominations. 

Recently at a school assembly, students read their nominating speeches which describe the qualities that the nominee has to qualify them to be "Peacemaker of the Year'. Pastor Kerry Pidcock-Lester was on hand to present plaques and a $100 award to this year's Peacemakers Kendyll King and Isiah Perez. 

Classmates described Kendyll as someone who listens to everyone's side of a story and tries to be a problem solver. 

"She cheers you up by making jokes:she is very funny. She helps us when we do not understand something in class. She does her best to be positive and cheer people up. Once when I was sad about something that happened she talked with me till I felt better," read some of the comments. 

One of Isiah's classmate wrote; "he helped me pick up my papers when I fell. He also made me feel welcomed and helped me when I first moved here. He included me in games at recess if he saw I was not involved. I was shy about singing in the chorus concert and he made me feel that it would be alright. Once I got mad because I tripped and he came to make sure I was OK and gave me a way to stay calm. 

Barth Principal Ryan Oxenford, Barth said "thanks to First Presbyterian for supporting this program for the last 19 years. It is a powerful learning lesson for our students and a stepping stone to becoming positive productive citizens."

No comments:

Post a Comment