Sunday, February 19, 2012

I've Got the Music in Me (Another Video Post!)

I won't lie to you folks, it's been kind of a crazy week.

Pottstown Middle School rappers Kordell Brooks, left, and Tyler Paul
And although I had harbored hopes of writing an insightful column-like post about the presidents in honor of President's Day, as I write this post Friday evening, I confess I just don't have it in me.

What I do have for you however, are two videos I had quite a bit of fun making, and both of them are musical.

In pursuit of a story about how Black History is taught in Pottstown Schools for Black History Month, I was steered by that most excellent volunteer community relations director, John Armato, to Barth Elementary School.

There, I got to watch and shoot video of Lori Hoshaw's chorus prepare for a performance of "Sir Duke," one of my favorite Stevie Wonder songs, which highlights the contributions of such greats as Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong.

(My son was born at PMMC to the strains of Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" 13 years ago, so you'll forgive me for having a soft spot for Satchmo.)

The story that goes with this video is scheduled to be published in Monday's paper (and on the web site) so long as we don't have another night of twisted metal on Route 422 over the weekend.

Here is the video I shot and which is posted on The Mercury's web site ... if you can find it.



This second video was pure serendipity.

Resigned to a long Thursday night at the Pottstown School Board meeting, one at which the fate of at least one elementary school hung in the balance, I was delighted to find it being kicked-off with a Martin Luther King Jr. rap by seventh graders Tyler Paul and Kordell Brooks.

So here is their most excellent contribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment