|This year's Early College Program graduates from Pottstown High School.|
Blogger's Note: The following was submitted by the Foundation for Pottstown Education.
Fifteen Pottstown High School seniors were recognized at the May 21, school board meeting for successfully completing the Dual Enrollment, Early College Program. These fourteen students were accepted in to the program in the fall of their junior year.
The Foundation began this program in the fall of 2014 with 68 students completing the program which provides the funding covering the tuition for up to 30 credits at Montgomery County Community College West Campus. Throughout the past six years the Foundation has provided more than $415,000 in tuition.
In his presentation to the school board, Foundation Executive Director Joe Rusiewicz praised the students for their accomplishments over the past two academic years. “The Class of 2020 earned more than 250 credits with an average grade point average of 3.48.”
“If these students took the same classes at their chosen colleges, they would have spent $379,620 as opposed to the tuition paid by the Foundation of $48.705 at MCCC.” Rusiewicz shared.
All 15 of the students have been accepted into an institution of higher learning. The 2020 Early College Program Class participants are:
- Ka’Wanza Tori Barksdale Hodges who will attend MCCC majoring in Biomedical Life Sciences
- Nayali Cruz enrolled at New York University studying Neuroscience
- Daniel Darden attending Widener University for Psychology
- Dereck Darden also attending Widener University and majoring in Pre-Athletic Training
- Madison Friedman enrolling at Temple University to study Psychology
- Emma Gawles has enrolled at Lycoming College studying Child and Adolescent Psychology
- Andrew Green attending Temple University to study Political Sciences
- Adriana Hayward will attend Gwynedd Mercy University to study Nursing
- Paige Aaliyah Jones plans to attend Temple University for Early Education
- Jorge Mundo will attend Alfred University majoring in Athletic Training
- Crystal Riveria enrolled at Florida Institute of Technology to study Marine Biology
- Megan Robie will attend Ursinus College and plans to study Biology
- Tanner Price Scott enrolled at Dickinson College where he will major in Computer Science and Archeology
- Winni Weng enrolled at Emory University and will major in Biochemistry/Health Administration
- Destiny Williams enrolled at Howard University majoring in International Business
About FPE: The mission of the Foundation for Pottstown Education is to raise funds for and support life-changing educational opportunities for the students and teachers in the Pottstown School District promoting the enhancement of our community.